Oct 11, 2014

what i learned today

First, the title on my blog posts doesn't automatically do sentence case.

Second, when you are piecing and want to be efficient, you make your pieces extra tall, and then you plan to cut across them to get the correct heights afterwards.

Like that.

However, what this newbie can't do is cut the total height to match the sum of heights needed and expect that the last guy is actually going to be the right height.

So where I expected to have 12.5 inches give me five heights of 2.5 inches, things were a little wonky. In the photo you see 9 inches of height for three 2.5 inch beasties. That actually works out to 7.5, but I'm planning to strip off the likely 1.25 piece and save it for later like a little squirrel. That's the three heights that I need to make up for the earlier boo-boo.

Third, I need a cover for my ironing boards. There's really no excuse for that.


Oct 10, 2014

door prize

I forgot to type that I'd won a door prize at the Guild meeting. So. Rad.

Four fat quarters! Crazy lucky, right? They're folded up all pretty and I'm scared to open them up. I have a feeling new knitters feel like this the first time their yarn comes in a skein rather than a ball.

Getting my hair cut tonight. THANK GOODNESS! Goodbye, curls. Sorry we couldn't make a better go of that.


Oct 9, 2014

2 guilds

But I'm only on the executive of one guild, so it's not too much.

Guild number 2 is a modern quilt guild. So. Fun.

It's a pretty large group, and they are very well run. So. Fun.

There was a very impressive show-and-tell - a lot of talent in the room!

I'm going to sew all weekend (more photos to follow). I'm also going to finish the dastardly sleeves on this darned sweater. Then I can get to the steeking and button band. And collar. Then it will be DONE! Fingering-weight sweaters take a while......


Oct 2, 2014

Moving back

I have decided to start quilting and there's no place for that on a yarn site, so I'm reviving this blog to encompass all crafts. (I really do like them all.)

We were in Maui recently. At the Queen K... mall, there's a shop called Sew Special. Of course they have Hawaiian themed fabrics there, and they totally caught my eye. We had just swum with turtles and I really wanted a turtle fabric. I wanted one coordinated fabric as well, and found it.

When I got home, I got four more fabrics, plus one for sashing and the back (thanks for your help with colour selection, Mum!). Tonight was my first chance to take a crack at my design and see how it hangs together. Yes, this is my design. It's really basic, and I wanted to focus on the turtle, so out of a 12 inch square, 5 of the inches are turtle. The only tricky piece is the mitred corners. I thought I could sew the diagonal to get those corners, but that was a bad idea. Enter Mum, with "Smoke and Mirrors 101" - the pieces overlap completely, and then you fold one and iron a crease into it so it looks mitred. I'll tack them down with a stitch or two. Do you know, she actually used the word "glue"? Gasp! I had a flashback to that rad Knitting 101 video on YouTube where the guy "knits" a scarf. Go look that up if you haven't seen it.

I learned from my Mum to have that square lying around for a while, to make sure I like it. I'll mull it over for a few days. (By the way, the sashing is brown.) I'm currently wondering if I can just change the position of the turtle or if I should also change the arrangement of the fabrics around it. I might have to do more samples. Any that don't make it into the quilt can become cushions or something.

Now back to some knitting...... There's still a big sale going on over at http://twotigersyarns.com/shop, in case you were wondering.

Jan 20, 2013


We need to get integrated, so we're moving. No more posts here, friends.

We'll be moving to a website (twotigersyarns.com) that has the blog built in, along with links to Facebook and whatnot. Updating three different places with the same news seems a little 2012 and we need to get into some thirteen!

**** Newly added **** Here's a direct link to the blog, for you blog-lovers!

As my parting post, let me remind you about two things:

1. Knit U (yarn camp), which you should sign up for, because it's a fabulous event. Knit Social does a great job of putting this retreat together and I had such a good time last year. I can't wait to see how this one shapes up. Oh, and Two Tigers is donating swag!!


2. Fibres West, a spectacular yarn event in Cloverdale, BC, where Two Tigers will have a wee booth.

Friday, March 22nd (9:30-5) and Saturday, March 23rd (9:30-5)

It's at the Show Barn on the Cloverdale Exhibition Grounds, entrance at 62nd Avenue off 176th Street (the Show Barn is on the east side of the red AgriFair bldg).

Admission is $8.50 for adults and $6.00 for students (valid student i.d.) and seniors (65+), children 13 and under free. Parking is free on site and all buildings on the site are wheelchair accessible. A cafe will be available for the duration of the show.   There is an ABM on site.